If you have recently been arrested for driving under the influence, then it is essential you seek the advice of a reputable Seattle DUI lawyer. Law enforcement officials take drunk driving very seriously. Laws concerning DUIs are not only severe punishment-wise, but they are also subject to increasingly open interpretation by the courts.
The penalties for a DUI conviction range from hefty fines to prison sentences. Some people have mandatory ignition interlock devices placed in their vehicles. This device requires you to blow into it to start the engine, and again every ten minutes while the vehicle is running. There are so many different negative implications associated with a DUI. Some can cause a great deal of shame, and many can be severely damaging to your career, family, and personal freedom.
Your first order of business is to find a qualified and experienced Washington DUI attorney to help you deal with the pending court proceedings. They will be able to assist you through the confusing mess commonly known as the DUI Process. It seems like finding a Seattle DUI attorney would simple; grab the phone book and find a lawyer who handles DUI cases. This is absolutely the wrong way of finding an attorney.
Don’t feel intimidated by a Washington DUI attorney. They are there to help you and are ordinary people just like you. The only difference between you and them is they are experts in the area of DUI law and can help you during your time of trouble.
Here are a few guidelines to follow when interviewing a potential Seattle DUI lawyer:
• Does the lawyer focus only on DUI defense or do they also handle other areas of criminal law? Just hire someone that focuses on and succeeds in DUI defense.
• Are items such as your court hearing, blood work, and expert fees included in their overall cost?
• If the lawyer guarantees they can win your DUI case, contact another attorney. No qualified DUI attorney makes any guarantees.
• Ask for a written contract to record all the expenses.
• Are they board certified by the American Bar Association?
• Are they a member of and certified by the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
When interviewing a particular Seattle DUI attorney, choose someone whom you feel like you can work with, and make sure your needs and concerns are critical to them. If you don’t get that impression, contact another attorney until you find the right one.